Tuesday 9 November 2010

Rugby Player 'Too Old To Play'

Last year, 55 year old Stephen Clee stepped in to play against Trecorchy Seconds after one of his players was forced off injured. Now, with injury crisis mounting at his new club, Tonyrefail RFC, he has offered up his services again, only to be told he his 'too old to play'.

Upset by this apparent descrimination, Mr. Clee has written to the Equality and Human Rights Commission of Wales for advise and has also threaten to quit his current club.

“This is not only important to me but to all over-50s who believe they are fit and able enough to still play rugby at a local level, in fact many of us over 50 are fitter than some under-30s who turn out regularly on Saturdays to play,” he said.

“I think I can deal with the physicality of it all. I wouldn’t even attempt to put myself in the position if I didn’t think I was. I think I’m old enough and experienced enough having played enough rugby in the past to be able to say to the second team captain I feel I’m capable of playing at least half a game.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2010/11/09/player-told-he-s-too-old-for-rugby-team-91466-27622758/#ixzz14mZrxlHo

No comments:

Post a Comment